Friday, July 13, 2012

Beating the storm.

Today was the day.  Beach day!  Oh, how excited all the little campers were.  Chatting about their swimwear, their fun floaties and water toys, and what their plans were once we got there.  "When are we leaving?"  "Can I put my suit on yet?" were just a couple of the questions I heard over and over.  "As soon as I drink my coffee!" was my repeated reply.

Sipping my cooled (not by choice) coffee, I checked the weather on my mobile weather checking device.  Storms!  How could it possible rain on our parade day?  We had two hours.  Could we possible get everything and everyone ready to head to the sandy shores and beat the storms?

Amazingly, all the kids pulled together, got their suits on, gathered towels water bottles & a simple little snack and got themselves into the van in record time.  And then it started to sprinkle.  We braved the elements and headed to our new favorite water hole.

It's a good thing we didn't wimp out, the rain stopped by the time we made it to our destination.  No other beach go'ers were to be seen.  The park ranger was racking the sand for us.  We had the entire beach to ourselves.  Our own private beach. It was so awesome.  I could not have planned it better and I think because of this simple little fact, the whole beach just for us, I became just a little bit cooler in the eyes of my campers.

I would call it a perfect day at the beach.  It was overcast, a great temp, the water was just right and it was just the six of us.  We figured we would stay until the thunder gods chased us out of the water.  They didn't.  Two hours later, we decided to head back to camp.  We had showers to take, lunch to eat, and naps to be had. 










By the way, I think we may have beat the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment